The Phoenix Scholars aims to help low-income, first generation and/or minority students throughout California access higher education by providing pro-bono college application counseling and mentorship.
Application is due April 19
High school juniors and students who plan to graduate from high school in the 2019-2020 school year are welcome to apply when applications open. Accepted applicants typically identify with two of the three following criteria:
- Low-income (student qualifies for free/reduced lunch)
- First generation (student's parent(s)/guardian(s) did not receive a degree from a degree granting four-year college or university)
- Minority (student identifies as Hispanic/Latino, Black/African American, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, and/or American Indian or Alaskan Native)
Students who don't identify with two of the above criteria are encouraged to still apply! We aim to help as many students as possible within our capacity. We also require that students who apply have demonstrated academic interest by maintaining a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.7 or higher.
Feel free to email us at email@example.com with any questions/concerns about the application.
Please read the following instructions carefully and in their entirety.
1. Make sure to complete each section accurately and thoroughly, and make sure to complete all of the required questions.
2. Your application will save automatically as you go through it, but to be safe, make sure to save a copy of your longer answers in a separate document in case of any glitches in the application.
3. For the short essay responses, we highly recommend that you write out and edit your answers in a separate document before you copy them into the application for submission.
4. For this application, you will need to upload a couple of documents. Please make sure that you have ready access to the following, as well as to a scanner or some other form of image capture for saving them on your computer and uploading them to this application:
- A copy of your most recent high school transcript (this can be an unofficial transcript)
- A copy of (or online access to) your PSAT or PLAN score report (if you took either of these exams). Please upload these documents in either PDF or JPEG format
- Have your recommender email their recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Last Name, First Name - Letter of Recommendation"
- Have your recommender mail their letter of recommendation to
PO Box 60476
Palo Alto, CA 94306
2018 The Phoenix Scholars Essay Prompts: The following are the prompts to the short essay responses towards the end of the application. They are provided here to ease your ability to access them.
1. How has being a low-income, first-generation, and/or minority student affected your life? Suggested Word Count 200-300 words.
2. What has influenced your desire to pursue a college education? Suggested Word Count 200-300 words.
3. Why do you want to be a participant in The Phoenix Scholars? In an ideal world, what specific services would The Phoenix Scholars provide you? How do you plan to get the most out of The Phoenix Scholars? Suggested Word Count: 100-200 words
Questions: If you have any questions or want clarification about the application, please email us at email@example.com